Re: Posting in other languages

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> > French people, what do you think ?
> I don't agree with this. Because if you keep only one list, you can
> have both people unilingual with the same language than you and people
> that could do the connection between 2 or 3 different lnaguages. That

	Sorry to cut into the discussion since English is my first
language (I know others; but they're not good enough to post on a list
anyway), but I think if you open up a French-speaking mailing list, you'll
end up helping more people.  I guess you're assuming that if a French
mailing list was created, then French-speakers would start posting to
another mailing list and not this one.  Perhaps, but I think the original
suggestion came up because creating a French-speaking mailing list would
attract French speakers that never would have posted on the English
speaking mailing list due to fear, embarassment, whatever...

	Indeed, posting on the English mailing list attracts more people,
but it does not cater to those that are afraid to post and maybe avoiding
using GTK+ because of a lack of support in their own language.

	I hope that mailing lists in other languages are created with a
warning that if s/he truly wants to reach a larger number of readers, they
should post on the English speaking mailing list instead.  And if the
mailing list in French (for example) is receiving only posts from one
person over a period of months, then you can always decide to shut down
the list, right?

	Sorry for cutting into the discussion, though.  English is my
first language, but I've been in many cases when English isn't the first
language and the fear and embarassment is...well, self-inflicted...but
enough to keep me from saying anything.  Maybe that's just me...  ;)

Ray