windows on windows

hello.
I have seen all programs work either by using notebooks, or popping up windows.

Can i have windows inside windows? I think it would bee good if i could

If i can or can not, is this something that has to do with the window manager?
or with the toolkit or the desktop?

i say it to have something more comfortable to work with.
If inside a window i could have windows, and if i could switch between them with some special combination (perhaps control+tab).
Its a bit tedious to switch between notebooks, and to have to alt+tab through a long list of nonrelated programs opened windows.

Or can it be simulated with a new widget? (could be hard if i had to define everything, but might be fun...
hum...

thank you.

--
ICQ: 15605359 Bicho