Re: Gtk Works Fine, Except when Root

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:06:43 -0000, Charles Petersen <mauddib hotmail com>  said:
> This one's a bit to deep for me.  I finally got Glib and Gtk+ 1.2.9 all
> installed using the tar.gz files.  If I log in as usr, cd to the
> examples/helloworld directory, and type make, it compiles perfectly fine.
> The program works perfectly, everything is fine.  However, if I do the same
> thing, but login as root, it gives me the following error:
>
> gcc 'gtk-config --cflags` helloworld.c -o helloworld `gtk-config --libs`
> helloworld.c:3: gtk/gtk.h: No Such File or directory
> make: *** [helloworld] Error 1
>
> Even more mystifying, if I login as usr, then su to root, it compiles fine.
> A few more things that may help:

I'll place bets that when you login as a user, you have /usr/local/bin in
your $PATH, so gtk-config is found and adds the -I/usr/local/include magic
needed, but when you login as root, it's not found, so no -I.
When you SU, it probably saves your environment, so you get your user $PATH.

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech