Searching widgets in a table

I've got a table. The children field of a table is suppose to point into
a GList,so at some point of my code I've got something like this:

(...)

gtk_table_attach_defaults (GTK_TABLE(table), separator, 0, 2, 2, 3);
g_print("Searching separator...\n");
pos = g_list_index(GTK_TABLE(table)->children, (gpointer) separator);
if (pos!= -1) {
	g_print("Separator found, position: %d\n", pos);
} else {
	g_print("Separator not found\n");
}

(...)

g_list_index retuns always -1, so I must have misunderstood how it
works..

How can I find the position in this GList of a widget in the table?

Do the elements of this GList point into GtkTableChild structures?

Thanks,

Ignacio Nodal