How to get text from a GtkCTree?

I'm trying to grab the text from a certain row in
a ctree after a row is selected. This is the function
that does it:

void tree_select_row(GtkCTree *tree, GList *node, gint column, gpointer
user_data
{
   gchar *name;

   gtk_ctree_node_get_text(GTK_CTREE(tree), GTK_CTREE_NODE(node), column,
&name);

   printf("building = %s\n", name);
}

However, whenever it prints out, the name comes out as
an empty string. Is there something I'm forgetting
to do?

Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: shippy cs nmt edu
CS Major / EE Minor       ICQ: 1786493
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Homepage: http://www.nmt.edu/~shippy