Weighting gnome canvas item?

Hello, I'm sitting here with a gnome canvas and putting lots of lots of canvasitems in it, several thousands.

My problem is that I only found gnome_canvas_item_raise_to_top() and the other functions to set which item to be on top, bottom, raise, lower.

This just put the items lower or higher in a linked list right? What would be much easier for my application is if there where some way to "weight" the items and then insert then based on the weight. Can this be done with standard gnome functions?