CList/CTree and Pointer Grabs

[GTK+ 1.2.8 on Solaris 7]

Gnome message box is hanging because of a grab on a CList widget ....

I have a signal function connected to a CTree via "tree_select_row".
Occasionally, this function detects an "error" and pops up a Gnome
message box, which it runs using gnome_dialog_run_and_close().

Unfortunately, since the underlying CList does a grab on the button
press (both a GTK grab and a pointer grab), I can't OK the message box
(nor can I select an xterm to kill the application :-(

What's the best way to avoid this? I suppose I could always forcibly
remove the grabs before calling gnome_dialog_run_and_close(), but I'd
rather not interfere with something the CList has set up.

If I connected the signal handler via gtk_signal_connect_after, would
that help?

What I'm really looking for is a signal that gets sent after the button
release, so that the CList has released the grab. Any advice you can
offer would be very gratefully received, since it can be VERY
time-consuming to experiment with something like this :-)

Allan