GTK vs GNOME?

I'm NOT trying to spark a flame war here.  Rather, I've been happily
using GTK for a while.  Now it seems I need to extend things a bit with
GNOMEcanvas.  I know there's also a GTKcanvas, but the consensus seems
to be "use GNOME."

So I've been checking out the GNOME pages, but unfortunately haven't
really figured out how to get started / making the switch.  Anyone have
some pointers?

I'd also like to hear voiced opinion on strengths weaknesses of using
either platform.

Thanks all,

DT
--
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~djt7p