Re: Compile Problem

Super-User wrote:
> Greetings fellow etherealers,

This is GTK list, not Ethereal, but anyway...

>     I am trying to compile ethereal on Solaris 8 x86.  I have all the
> latest required packages installed.  When I run ./configure, this is
> what I get.
>
>         checking to see if we can add '-Wall' to CFLAGS... yes
> checking for platform-specific compiler flags... none needed
> checking for LD_LIBRARY_PATH... no -- this may be a problem in a few
> seconds

I don't know why Etheral checks for LD_LIBRARY_PATH. It shouldn't be
used on Solaris, except for debugging, experimentation and some
very special things. The only good reason for check would be to disable
it, but the message doesn't imply that.

> checking for glib-config... /usr/local/bin/glib-config
> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... yes
> checking for gtk-config... /usr/local/bin/gtk-config
> checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no

Edit your glib-config and gtk-config. Find a place which is responsible
for *-config --libs. glib-config probably outputs "-L/usr/local/lib -lglib".
Add -R/usr/local/lib there. Do the same for gtk-config. You'll probably
see that it already outputs -R/usr/openwin/lib, but it doesn't
output -R/usr/local/lib. Add -R/usr/local/lib and remove -R/usr/openwin/lib.

You can also remove -L/usr/openwin/lib. And you can remove
-I/usr/openwin/include as well. Those two are not a source of the problem,
but they are unnesessary.

--
 .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.