Re: Compiling problems with gtk+ 1.3.1

Zero Silikon <zero_silikon usa net> writes:

> All,
> I'm currently trying to compile the 1.3.1 version of gtk+.
> I'm just trying to do a basic install of gtk.  Here's exactly what I get.
>
> I run a ./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6 --enable-shared --enable-shm
> --with-gnu-ld --disable-xim-inst --with-catgets --with-x

Is there any particular reason for these choice of options?
-enable-shared, --enable-shm, --with-gnu-ld, --with-x are all not
needed. (they will either be autodetected or on by default.)
--disable-xim-inst only needed on some old Sun versions of X,
--with-catgets probably quite harmful, though I think it may just have
no effect. (The gettext maintainer claims it was a bad idea to start
with.)

Generally, the intent is that sticking to just ./configure should
work in most cases.

As for your problem - I have no idea why, if your box is a
Debian box, your image libraries are installed in /usr/X11R6/lib
(the standard Debian packages definitely don't put them there),
but the problem is most likely that the configure script is
not adding -L /usr/X11R6/lib to the link line when checking
for these libraries. (You've just told it that you are
installing in that directory, not that you have things you
want it to find in that directory.)

If you do

  export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/X11R6/libs CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include

Before running configure, things will most likely work better.

I probably should steal the text (appended below) from the
GIMP INSTALL file.

Regards,
                                        Owen

========

When ./configure fails on plug-ins
==================================

There are some GIMP plug-ins that need additional third-party libraries
installed on your system. For example to compile the plug-ins that load
and save JPEG, PNG or TIFF files you need the related libraries and header
files installed, otherwise you'll get a message that plugin xyz will not
be build.

If you are sure that those libraries are correctly installed, but configure
fails to detect them, the following might help:

Set your LDFLAGS environment variable to look for the library in a certain
place, e.g. if you are working in a bash shell you would say:
      export LDFLAGS="-L<path_to_library> -L<path_to_another_one>"
before you run configure.

Set your CPPFLAGS environment variable to look for the header file in a
certain place, e.g. if you are working in a bash shell you would say:
      export CPPFLAGS="-I<path_to_header_file> -I<path_to_another_one>"
before you run configure.

It's wise to remove the file 'config.cache' before re-running configure.