delays in event dispatching ???

Hello all.

In a program I'm developing, it seems that events take some time to be
dispatched. So, if in a dialog window I :
0) show dialog
1) update text and percentage in a progress bar
2) process event queue
3) loop 1)
I see updates starting from the second (and it seems the window is
completly redrawn, infact sometimes other content get "blanked out").
BUT, if :
2a) sleep(1);
2b) process event queue
I see the first update, too.

To "process event queue" I tries all I could think:
* while(gtk_events_pending()) gtk_main_iteration();
* while(gtk_events_pending()) gtk_main_iteration_do(TRUE);
* while(gtk_events_pending()) gtk_main_iteration_do(FALSE);
* gtk_main_iteration_do(TRUE);
* gtk_main_iteration_do(FALSE);
(possibly some others I don't remember).

Am I missing something (probably, since I'm quite new to GTK
programming) ?

Tks in advance, and sorry for my bad english.
 Diego.