Re: installing 2.8

Dugas, Alan wrote:
> 	It appears either way works.

For this particular application. Did you check if it breaks any other
application on your system?

> It seems to me just a qustion of preference.

Until you have libraries with the same name in different directories.
Without LD_LIBRARY_PATH set, you have file system name space and that's
good, because you don't have to think about name collisions.

If you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH you have only global name space and applications
cannot use their libraries. Instead they'll have to use the libraries
you gave them.

For example. There is libtiff in /usr/openwin/lib. It's not compatible
with libtiff we normally use (it's an older version, 3.0 alpha or
something like that). If you set

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/openwin/lib

certan number of applications won't work any more. If you change it, then
some other applications won't work any more. You can't have both.

Without LD_LIBRARY_PATH set and by using runpaths encoded in the executables
and libraries, you can have both and you never need to worry if your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is still good enough (meaning it doesn't break too much
things) after the installation of another library or set of libraries.

--
 .-.   .-.    Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.