Calling system() from a GTK+ callback

Hi all,

Is there some limitation on calling the C runtime library function
int system (const char * string) from a GTK+ callback?

I am trying to issue a call of the form
system ("/usr/bin/rsh some-host 'some-command with arguments' >
<some-file-on-remote-host &");
I want the standard output of the remotely-started program to be redirected
the file, and for control to return immediately to the callback function
which
calls "system."

The command works when issued from a simple C program (not a GTK+
program), but the call "hangs" if made from a GTK+ callback function.

Thanks for any illumination on this subject.

P.S. I've also tried more elaborate schemes with
fork/exec, with similar results.