gtk main and slemr main

There may be a problem with using gtk and middleware together in the same
application.  I was talking with Tom Phelan and he said that I can't have
two main loops even though they are both waiting for different events to
occur.  He mentioned some potenntially tricky scenarios.  One, that they
did in Middleware once to solve this dilemma was to modify the middleware
main loop and include the other event check in it, which probably is not a
great solution.  For example, the following is

MWLOOP
{
  while(1)
  {
   middleware event_check;
   gtk event check
  }
}

Secondly, I could create my own task loop and get the function calls that
middlware uses and then include the API's that gtk_main() uses.  For
example,
somethine like.

While(1)
{
  middleware event check;
  gtk event check;
}

If gtk does not provide the source code or API's to gtk_main, I don't see
how I am going to use middleware and gtk together.  Either way, this is
going to increase my project time since I am going to have to do some
research in how the gtk_main loop works.