Re: Installation Problems under Solaris

hmmm... /usr/local/include is in the compile line... but not /usr/include.... I will try
that!

|Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 16:58:39 +0200
|From: Drazen Kacar <dave srce hr>
|To: Valdis Kletnieks vt edu
|Cc: Drazen Kacar <dave srce hr>, Haydn Haines - Sun UK - Partner Support - Intern
<Haydn Haines uk sun com>, gtk-list gnome org
|Subject: Re: Installation Problems under Solaris
|
|Valdis Kletnieks vt edu wrote:
|> On Tue, 03 Oct 2000 16:14:39 +0200, Drazen Kacar said:
|>
|> > That's the only file in ../include/sys directory. I don't have the exact
|> > OS and compiler versions which the original poster used, but the contents
|> > on Solaris 7 gcc 2.95.1 installation is:
|>
|> Note that that's on solaris *7* - which may have header files sufficiently
|> cleaned up by Sun that fixincludes only saved that one file as needing to
|> be modified.  It's quite possible that Solaris *6* (as indicated by the
|> pathname) had a whole raft of include files modified).
|>
|> Also, I'd not be surprised if 2.95.1 (which you comment on) and 2.95.2
|> (as indicated by the original pathname) have different ideas on what needed
|> to be fixincluded.
|>
|> Remember that the whole *PROBLEM* with fixincludes is that it's very fragile
|> across operating system levels and compiler levels (which is why it includes
|> both in the pathname to where it stores the "fixed" files).
|
|You're correct in general. I have Solaris 2.6 with gcc 2.8.1 and that one
|doesn't even have sys subdirectory. That's again not the exact version,
|so it doesn't prove anything. However, I have a pretty good understanding
|of Solaris OS include files on 2.6 and later versions, because I had to.
|
|So, based on my experience, I'd say that the include files are OK for C.
|The collisions happen with g++ include files, because of internal usage
|in g++ include files, so it's necessary to wrap OS include files.
|But it's not because the OS include files are broken. I had some
|problems of this kind with my 2.95.1 and C++ programs, meaning some
|additional files should be wrapped (maybe they are in 2.95.2), but never
|with C code.
|
|This doesn't help, because it's speculation. Now, Haydn said he still
|had problems, but that's not very helpful. So, Haydn, is -I/usr/include
|present on the compile line or not?

|--
| .-.   .-.    I don't work for my employer.
|(_  \ /  _)
|     |        dave srce hr
|     |        dave fly srk fer hr

|gtk-list mailing list
|gtk-list gnome org
|http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-list

                        ''~``
Sun Microsystems.      ( o o )
------------------.oooO--(_)--Oooo.------------------
Haydn Haines.			 Tel: +44 1252 399570
Pre Sales Support Centre.        Fax: +44 1252 511039

                    .oooO
Haydn sun com       (   )   Oooo.              X19671
                            (_/

This Email is only for the use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential
information. If you have received this Email in  error, please notify the sender
immediately, delete the Email and do not use or disseminate its contents.