mouse wheel

Hi,

currently (1.2.x) the mouse wheel behavior is hardcoded in gtkmain.c. It
is understood that buttons 4 and 5 are impulsions for vertical scrolling
of widgets. It is understood that the user has put "ZAxisMapping 4 5" into
XF86Config if running XFree86.

Some new mice have two wheels; the second one is intended for horizontal
scrolling. Of course, it's possible to add support for it in a similar
fashion (I may soon send a patch for this).

However, I find it a bit rigid and hackish that button numbers should be
hardwired on behaviors. Some mice have more than 3 physical buttons and
the user might want buttons 4 and 5 not to behave like a wheel.

Are there any plans to make wheel behavior customizable; i.e. allow, say,
buttons 6-7 for vertical scrolling and 8-9 for horiz?

David Monniaux            http://www.di.ens.fr/~monniaux
Laboratoire d'informatique de l'École Normale Supérieure,
Paris, France