Re: Configuring GTK

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:52:00 PST, Aby Paul <aby_paul yahoo com>  said:
> I have installed GTK 1.1.8 on AIX 4.3.3. Each time I
> try to run the the simple program 'base' (mentioned in
> the documentaion), it results in coredump. gdb shows
> its looking for a a function gdk_init_check () in file
> gdk.c. And there is no file called gdk.c availale. Do
> anyone know what went wrong with the configuration?

This appears to be libtool not cooperating with the AIX linker.  Basically,
the libraries get linked with -berok.  This in itself is not bad, except that
(for instance) libgtk.a is linked without a reference to libgdk.a.  At runtime,
this results in references to gdk functions not being correctly resolved.

So when the gtk_init_check() routine calls gdk_init_check(), it branches
off to never-never land.

To fix:

1) Re-build glib, gmodule and gthreads libraries *without* -berok (this will
require some libtool hackery).  You'll have to specify additional -L and -l
flags to get gmodule and gthreads to rebuild.

2) Repeat for the gdk libraries

3) Repeat for the gtk libraries.

Hope this helps.  I need to write all this up and get it folded back into
the base libtool/gtk distributions.. ;(
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst