GTK+ test suite

I work in the Desktop Test Team at Sun.  As you may
know, Sun has joined the GNOME Foundation and is
adopting GNOME as the future desktop for Solaris.

We are planning to develop a verification test suite
for GTK+.  This test suite could be used to check the
stability of a particular build of GTK+ and to find bugs.
We are currently putting together a team to work on
this project.

Our plan is to check the code in to the CVS tree at
gnome.org as soon as we have something usable.

Some of the areas to be tested will include:
- completeness of header files
- ability to create all standard (non-deprecated) widgets;
  check default properties are set correctly;
  get and set standard properties;
  receive expected callbacks; etc
- expected behavior and return values from library functions

The execution of the test suite will be automated - there will
be no manual intervention or inspection involved.  We plan to
use the TET test harness to control builds, execution, journal
files and results tabulation.  A suitable open source version
of TET3 is available from The Open Group (tetworks.opengroup.org).

Any comments or suggestions on areas we should cover or ideas
on implementation are welcome.

- Dermot

Dermot McCluskey - Sun Microsystems, Ireland - Desktop Test