Blinking Tooltips

I have the Mandrake 7.2 distro on my laptop.  KDE 2.0 is my desktop.
The question I have is this:
All the tooltips in the GTK-based apps that I run (E.g. Gimp) blink on
and off.  Is this the designed behavior?  The whole tooltip window
appears and disappears at about 1hz frequency.

If so, it is extremely annoying and makes the text in the tooltip
unnecessarily difficult to read.  It reminds me of the bad old days when
everyone used to use that dang <BLINK> tag on their web pages.  That's
finally subsided, but now we have to deal with blinking tooltips in
every app??

Anyone know how I can make the tooltips stop blinking?  I can't seem to
find any info about how to disable the blink anywhere.

--Bill Baxter