Subwindows possible?

I am trying to have a main window that has 4 subwindows inside of it.  So far I
have been unable to do this.  Every attempt I've tried results in separate
side by side windows, not a window and subwindow layout.  Here is basically what
I have tried in my last attempt.  Is it possible to do this with just Gtk?  If
so, what am I missing?

         subwin = gtk_window_new (GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);

         gtk_window_set_title(GTK_WINDOW(window), "Fixed Container");
         gtk_window_set_title(GTK_WINDOW(subwin), "Sub Window");

         gtk_container_set_border_width (GTK_CONTAINER (window), 10);
         gtk_container_set_border_width (GTK_CONTAINER (subwin), 10);

         /* Create a Fixed Container */
         fixed = gtk_fixed_new();
         gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(window), fixed);

         gtk_fixed_put(GTK_FIXED(fixed),swindow,10,10);

         gtk_widget_show(swindow);
         gtk_widget_show(fixed);
         gtk_widget_show(window);

Regards,

Chris

-----
Chris Freeze                                     Email: cfreeze@cs.clemson.edu
Computer Science Dept.                          Office: Jordan G-06
Clemson University                               Phone: (864) 656-2636
http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~cfreeze
-----