Fax G3 images and rendering time

Hello,

1) I am currently writing a fax client for hylafax using GTK.  When
   displaying an image by "painting" it onto a GdkPixmap
   (gdk_pixmap_create_from_data), the initial display (configure_event)
   is always quite long. Knowing that gimp and other image-displaying
   software don't suffer from that problem, I am wondering what is wrong
   with my code. A typical FAX G3 page is typically ~2200x~1730 pixels
   and has a 1 bit depth.

   Viewfax, a utility located in the /contrib directory of Hylafax
   doesn't have that problem either and is using XImages (and isn't using
   gtk at all).

   I am wondering if this problem isn't due to the fact that GDK doesn't
   support XSHM for images with a depth of 1 bit. Can someone confirm or
   explain me a good way of doing what I want?

2) I noticed with the gnome panel that when you turn on large icons,
   the menu continues to be displayed far beyond the logical height of
   the display. I assume this is a bug in GTK and am wondering whether
   someone is busy fixing it?
   I personnally like the Mac way of displaying long menu's, that is,
   displaying what can be displayed and then appending an arrow at the
   end of the list which you can click to make the menu scroll.

Wolfgang