Re: [gtk-list] Re: vertical gtklabel!?

Paul Barton-Davis <pbd@op.net> writes:

> >How do I make a vertical label!?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> X11R6.3 does not support anything but horizontal text. I believe that
> XFree86 4.0 contains the new extension to support rotated text, or at
> least vertical text, but a program using this is not guaranteed to
> work on other X implementations.

That's not quite true. Transformed fonts were introduced in X11R6, IIRC.
It definitely works in Sketch with XFree3.x. All affine transformations
are possible, not just rotations. You have to draw each character
individually, though.

Transformed fonts are specified by replacing the size with a matrix.
E.g.:

	-misc-fixed-medium-*-*-*-[0 11 ~11 0]-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

This should give you an 11 pixel font rotated 90 degrees ccw. The ~ is
used instead of - for negative numbers.

More information can be found in the XLFD documentation that comes with
the XFree sources.

--
Bernhard Herzog   | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
herzog@online.de  | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/