How can one have sub-optionmenus?

I would like to construct a set of option menus so that the top-level
menu contains a set of option menus.  The item chosen from one of
the submenus would be the item displayed for the top-level optionmenu.

It seems that I cannot do this, because an option menu is not a menu -
it inherits from gtkbutton.h, and not from gtkmenu.h.  So I get assert
errors when I try to attach a submenu to the next level up.

Is there any way to do this?

(Using gtk+ 1.2.6)

     "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not
      sin against thee."        Psalms 119:11