Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk-perl mailing list (or others)

Dermot Musgrove wrote:

> Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > (If somebody wants to volunteer to set up a better mailing
> > list archive package on gnome.org and migrate the archives
> > over,. I'm sure something could be arranged...)

  Pardon for the lateness of this, but I find http://www.egroups.com to be a
pretty handy list server.   Tor's gimpwin-dev is on egroups, and here's some
pros and cons:

 Pros:
1.  Everything is free and paid for by 2-line text ads at the bottom of each
member posting.
2.  Nobody ever gets contacted by egroups off-list, except of course the
moderator.
3.  You can have archives.  All email addresses on public archives are munged
so as to be un-spammable.
4.  Setting up a group is a pretty simple process of filling out a few web
page forms.
5. They have security options about who gets to post, who gets to subscribe,
etc.  We have _never_ gotten UCE's.

  Cons:
1.   Their "digest mode" sucks, all they send you is a url to their archives.
2.    If your list goes dead silent for maybe a year, they delete it.
(Fat chance with this list!  ;)

  John