Main Window References Dialog Window(or vica versa)?

REPOST because not submitted properly.

Hello All,

 I have a window which creates and pops up a dialog with an entry.
 When the OK button is pressed the callback obtains the entry
 data and MUST update data in the main window.

 What is the best way to exchange information between windows.

 Is there a way to get any top_level window by name?

 I  want to minimize the use  of globals.

 How about using object_set_data( Window1, "window2", window2);
 Am I wasting alot of memory doing this?
 Will I lose the data when a window is destroyed?

 How can I disable the destroy button on a dialog window?
 I want to force the users to use the OK and CANCEL buttons.

 Any help appreciated.

 Thanks,
 George.