gdk_pixbuf_animation

I have a regular (read: non-animated) pixbuf rendered to a drawable.  I want
to change this pixbuf to a pixbuf animation so that it can display
multi-frame images.  Do I render the animated pixbuf just like a normal
pixbuf, or do I have to address each frame individually, a la:

gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable(animation->frames.pixbuf,
     drawable,
     drawing_area->style->white_gc,
     etc.

thanks for any help on this, which i hope should be a fairly easy problem to
fix.
-bennyk