ANNOUNCE : The GLM 2000-02

Hi Everyone !

The second issue of the GLM is out and lies on
http://logout.free.fr/gtk-glm/index.html
Old issue(s) can be found by selecting
the "GLM / old issue" link on this page.

The "GTK Lists Monthly" newsletter provides
a fast access to the cool and important things
that happened during the past month on the GTK+
mailing lists.

To quote Karl Nelson again (one of the base GTK--
team member) : "Projects have short collective
memories and people are often too busy to
continously keep up with the development. Digging
back three months to find that something was
discussed in 2 messages here and 4 messages there
is an act in futility."

See the EDITO and the TOC below for more
informations

EDITO

I got a lot of comments about the first GLM issue,
ranging from "good grunt work" (thanks a lot:) to
"add more links" or "you may change this". I wish
to thanks those who took the time to read 2000-01
and I hope they'll have some pleasure to read this
issue too!

So here is the second issue (lets call it 2000-02 :).
I just changed the licensing type (see the new
license text at
     http://logout.free.fr/misc/m-licensing.html)
in order to distinguish this project from my old
bsd-style projects. If you have comments or idea to
improve the licensing, just send me a mail
(see my email below).

I have extended my GTK lists reading to gtk-docs-list
and gtk-i18n-list (these are not widely spread and
having informations about these should be great).
Support for the new gtk-perl-list is not provided at
this time (I promise you'll get it next month).

In order to get this resource more valuable, I'm
planning to track down the GNoME lists too. To do
so, I really need some help, for two main reasons :

  * well, I do not have time to read all the GNoME
    lists (reading the 1000 mails by month on the
    GTK+ lists is probably the best I can do for
    the moment)

  * I must confess that I do not have a great knowledge
    of GNoME - and I may not be competent to track
    the interesting threads.

This is my own CFGW (Call For Grunt Workers [tm]). If
you are interested, send me your proposals at
logout@free.fr [subject GNoME Lists Monthly]. The
first completely gnomified issue of the GLM should be
2000-04 which is scheduled at the beggining of May

Sincerely yours, Emmanuel

TOC

1. Edito
2. News from the GTK+ Lists
  2.1 Announces
3. Discussions
  3.1 Hashing string
  3.2 What about a g_malloc callback?
  3.3 Window in Window MDI conception
  3.4 GTK+ Widgets : whole bar dragging for panels and
      the return of the new text widget
4. Proposals/update to the FAQ
  4.1 I need to add a new signal to a GTK+ widget.
      Any idea?
5. Special interest : links
  5.1 GeoCrawler searchable mailing lists archives
  5.2 GTK+ widget repository
6. Misc

Next issue is scheduled for the first week of
April 2000. Comments and/or suggestion should
be sent to this list or directly to me (
logout@free.fr).

Hope this is of interest,

Emmanuel

--
PS. for Tony :
The FAQ updates will now come with a diff