Digit image processing.

I'd like to do some digit image processing experiments. I'm now studying
GIMP, but cann't fully understand, although it's perfectly good. Many
problems arise:
    (1)    Read/Write image ( Does GIMP uses plug-ins?)
    (2)   The image in the memory.(Does it uses GdkPixmap data
structure?)
    The _GdkImage structure and _GdkVisual is somewhat complicate. Does
anyone please give me some explanations or send me some documention.
     (3)  Where can I add my code in GIMP so that  without much
alternation I can process the   GdkPixmap  in( 2).
    (4)   Does "display" is something copy   GdkPixmap to  GdkDrawable
or GdkWindow

struct _GdkVisual
                {
                  GdkVisualType type;