Re: ADVICE SOUGHT: Sockets, Plugs and X11/Xt

"Chen, Frank" wrote:
> I'm developing a GTK+ application but would like to integrate an existing
> X11/Xt multimedia application that I've developed some time ago.
>
> Can I use a socket and plug to accomplish the application integration?  If
> 'yes' - any pointers to coded examples?

Yes - your GTK+ parent app UI will contain the GtkSocket widget, and
your X11/Xt child app will plug into it.  Since your child app isn't
using Gtk+, you won't use GtkPlug - you'll have to figure out a way to
communicate the child's toplevel X handle to the parent app, which then
"captures" it using the socket.  You don't mention whether you're using
C++ or not - if so, the SDPGTK library contains a sample application
that does this, at http://www.k-3d.com

Timothy M. Shead
tshead@k-3d.com