Scale widget range issue

Hi folks,

Just getting back into GTK.  I've got a little app that uses a scale
widget and text box to modify / display an adjustment's values.  With
the text box I can of course set the underlying adjustment to anything
I like.  But for some reason, I don't have so much control with the
scale widget.

I'm wondering if:

GtkObject *gtk_adjustment_new( gfloat value,
                                      gfloat lower,
                                      gfloat upper,
                                      gfloat step_increment,
                                      gfloat page_increment,
                                      gfloat page_size );

the increment values make any difference here?  E.G., I'd like to have a
smooth continuous change, so set step_increment to something small like
0.001.  But when I move my slider, I get steps of more like 0.01.

Is there a way to get finer control over this?

Also ... my ARROW keys and PgUp / PgDn do not change scale values.

I think I'm using GTK 1.2 (whatever comes with Slackware 7).

Thanks all,

Dave Topper
--
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~djt7p