Re: gawk 3.0.4 does not work for gtk+-1.2.8

eduard.epi@t-online.de (Peter Bornemann) writes:

> I have downloaded the sources for gtk+-1.2.8. When I use gawk 3.0.4
> for the "configure"-script, the building fails with a lot of
> GTK_TYPE_XXX macros undeclared. It is OK, when I use gawk 3.0.3.
> There appear to be no information in config.log and no warnings from
> gawk. So it seems that gawk 3.0.4 does something different.

I can't reproduce it here, though there is one bug report on
bugs.gnome.org that might be the same thing, involving a compilation
failure on SuSE 6.4.

Things work perfectly here with awk-3.0.4. (What operating system
and/or distribution are you running?)

You should be able to work around the problem by configuring (a clean copy
of) GTK+ with --disable-rebuilds.

If you want to help diagnose what is going on, the problem is with
the gtk/maketypes.awk script. So if you change to the gtk/ directory
and try running:

 awk -f maketypes.awk gtk.defs macros
 awk -f maketypes.awk gtk.defs entries
 awk -f maketypes.awk gtk.defs variables

And see which of those is different from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4, that would
be a start in tracking down the problem.

Regards,
                                        Owen