Re: installing

> Cc: "'gtk-list@gnome.org'" <gtk-list@gnome.org>
> From: Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com>
>
> "Witt, Richard" <Richard.Witt@TTMC.TTUHSC.EDU> writes:
> > As i said i am VERY VERY new to linux but its something i am very determined
> > to learn.  I know i am probably missing something silly but could i please
>
> Two suggestions to get you started:
>  - have a look at error messages in config.log, this should give
>    you better info on why glib wasn't found
>  - consider using RPMs or debs to upgrade, if you are currently using the
>    glib/GTK that came with your Linux.
>
> Havoc

Since he's new to Linux, I'll bet the problem is that the RPM version
of glib/gtk (that he removed) is in /usr and the new glib he installed
with ./configure;make install is in /usr/local and /usr/local/bin
isn't in his path and /usr/local/lib probably isn't in /etc/ld.so.conf
or his LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I didn't reply earlier because I use tcsh (because I originally used
it on Unix before Linux existed and haven't taken the time to learn
the minor differences between it and bash).  I bet if someone tells
him how to insert /usr/local/bin in his PATH and /usr/local/lib in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH using bash, he'll be up and running.  It's setenv in
csh/tcsh - but it's export or two lines, one of which is export in
bash I think.

Dave