persistent GTK objects

Hello,

I'm wondering... How easy is it to create persistent GTK+ objects? Like the
way it's done in Object Databases (the meta-data of an object is stored
somewhere, so it can load and save objects)? It is quite easy to store the
meta-information of the class' attributes (store the information in the
*Class struct).

It is little more difficult to store information about signals. The signal
structures should have enough information about each signal to reconstruct
it after loading the information from disk (as long as there are no pointers
in play).

A difficult point is the object-data (GtkObject::data), since there is no
information whatsoever about what it contains.

Has anybody tried creating persistent GtkObjects, or am I just thinking in
the wrong direction?

NB. This is not about the GtkWidgets, but only for objects that are derived
from a specific GtkPersistent (what's in a name ;-) object.

Thanks,

Arjan