gdk using other colors than black (black_gc) and white (white_gc)

I am writing a little drawing program that is part of an application.  I
would like to use eight colors, black, white, red, blue, green, yellow,
cyan, and magenta.  I am able to use black and white by referring to
black_gc and white_gc.  However, I had no luck so far to  get the
remaining six colors.
I use the following code in my application for black and white:

(snip)
gdk_draw_rectangle (pixmap,
   widget->style->black_gc,
   TRUE,
   update_rect.x, update_rect.y,
   update_rect.width, update_rect.height);
(snip)

The same code is used for white, substituting black_gc with  white_gc.
How can I create the other colors? I tried to create a new graphics
context representing the colors, but had no luck in doing so.  Any help
is appreciated. Thank you very much.

--  Thomas Amsler

        --Albert Einstein