Expose/Configure/etc events : when?

I've been browsing the documentation, but haven't found anywhere a summary
of when certain events are called.

Some of this is obvious; whenever a portion of a window which was hidden
is shown again, the "expose" signal is emitted.  When a window is resized,
the "configure" signal is emitted.  What I'm looking for is a
comprehensive summary of when these sorts of signals are generated, and
when one out to worry about them.

For instance, will an expose event be generated when a window is resized?

I'm trying to figure out which signals I have to catch in order to make
sure that any custom rendering to a widget will get redrawn whenever it
needs to get redrawn.

Thanks,

-Rob