Re: GLib again!

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:24:02 +0200, Michal Burda <michal.burda@centrum.cz>  said:
> 1. Needs GTK GLIB?

Yes.

> 2. Is GLib still in developing status or this project is dead?

I think the word you want isn't "dead", but "stable".  It appears
that Glib now includes all the functions the authors wanted in there,
and that they've been fully debugged.

> 3. How to grab every keyboard event before they are handled by
> widgets in the window?

This would be a lot easier to answer if you explained *why* you
wanted every keyboard event - there may very well be a different
approach that would work better.  For instance, you may not want
*every* event - just those headed for a specific widget.  And if you
start grabbing the keyboard events that my window manager wants to
see, I will be most upset. ;)

In any case, this is a Gtk+ issue, not a Glib one..

> 4. Where to send suggestions about GLib?

Well.. what's the suggestion?  This list is probably as good a place
as any... ;)  If nothing else, your suggestion will probably get
discussed.  There's a seperate address for making formal requests,
but developers *really* prefer requests of the form "Me and 8 other
guys all discussed XYZ and..." over "I had this weird idea that
I haven't asked anybody for comments yet.." ;)

> 5. Is there something like Midnight Commander for X-window but not
> that Microsoft-Explorer-like one?

I assume you mean the Gnome 'gmc' one as the "explorer-like" one?

I don't personally use MC *or* gmc.  Could you summarize what you
don't like about the one you have - is it a specificy function that's
missing, or does the whole thing just offend your sense of style?
If the problem is "it doesnt do XYZ", perhaps XYZ is better done
using some other program...  On the other hand, I'd personally
find "explorer-like" to be sufficient reason to dislike a program ;)

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech