Listing fonts

I'm working on porting an application from Motif to Gtk, and I'm
surprised to find that there isn't a method analogous to
XListFonts() in Gdk for listing the fonts available on the
system.  I understand that I could just make a call to XListFonts()
(this is what the GtkFontSelection widget does), but I'm trying to
make the ported application independent of X.

Is there a reason this functionality wasn't included in Gdk?  How
do people usually work around this?  Are there plans to provide
a wrapper function in the next release?

With Gratitude,
ALf