GTK+ 1.2.8 doesn't seem to work.

Hi,
There seems to be one little problem, that prevents dumb users like me from
using GTK+ (and all the other programs that require it)
So it's like this:
I've installed glib1.2.8 then launched GTK+1.2.8's "configure" file and got
an error message saying that I don't have some X Libraries or Includes. So I
spent some time(5 hrs) studying the config.log (the attached one) and other
possible sources of error messages. I tried
to find all the files that were mentioned in the end of config.log as "not
found", and those files actually didn't exist(nowhere in the system).
And since there is no "troubleshooting" information with the program I
simply have no idea of what could be done.
Any information you might want to know:
1.my system is Debian Linux, Kernel v2.2.14.
2. I don't have any real C programming experience (I know something about T
Pascal but not C or C++). I'm NOT installing GTK+ for development purposes.
3. I downloaded GTK from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/ (I think the only file
that was modified  is attached to the letter)
3. Well don't know what else I could write... I'm using Linux for about a
month, but I configured it  all by my self in about a week so I'm not a
complete newbie. But still don't know what ever you might be interested in.

CONFIG.LOG