Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Hi,

RH6.2/zsh/Gnome-Helix

Yesterday i upgraded my october gnome to helix.
Since then i get the message:

    "Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library"

whenever i run gtk applications. For example i get this message
when i start gvim (compiled to use gtk).

I noticed that i dont get this message as root, only as a user.

I also noticed that this is caused by the fact that the LANG
variable is set as a normal user to the string "(null)".

------------------------------
ROOT:
root:~> echo $LANG
root:~> echo $LC_ALL
root:~>

jan:~> echo $LANG
(null)

Now as user jan i get the Gdk warning.
When i do 'unset LANG', then it's ok again.

But i didnt have to do this before with the october gnome.
However the upgrade also upgraded the gtk+ packages.

I appologize if it's discussed before, but i am new to the list.
Thanks,

Jan