passing non-string data in drag and drop

How can I pass non-string data,such as pointer in drag and drop?
The GtkSelectionData can only pass string data...
Moreover.the GdkDragContext can only get the source GdkWindow...so I can't
transfer data using gtk_object_set_data too...
So now I just use data->data=(guchar **)(some_type_of_pointer) to pass a
pointer...(gtk_selection_set_data() will think it is a string and make a
copy of it,so don't work)..
Is that a better method for that?