GtkCanvas?

Is there a GtkCanvas widget or something similar available either
through the library itself or outside?  I've checked the
documentation, and all I can find is GtkDrawingArea which doesn't
quite suit my needs.

I'm aware of the GnomeCanvas widget, and I think that WOULD suit my
needs, (the ability to draw individual shapes in a canvas and address
them individually with entering/leaving signals, specifically drawing
polygons) but I'm really, really trying to avoid depending on
gnomelibs for anything, particularly if it's just for one solitary
widget.

Is there a way to do this effectively with the GtkCanvas?  I looked at
some of the calls, and it looks like it's going to be an ugly hack
without some sort of Canvas widget similar to what Tk provides, (and
what I think Gnome provides)

Any suggestions?
--
David Allen