Re: Gtk::Text widget

->   I just read that the Text widget doesn't support horizontal
-> scrollbars.  Is this something that's being worked on, or is
-> a permanent deficiency?

	That text widget is going to get dumped.

-> On a related note, do you (that is,
-> experienced Gtk programmers) feel that the Text widget is
-> appropriate for implementing a truly full featured text
-> editing environment?

	The old one is not.  It is lacking in features, full of bugs, and
is difficult to maintain.

->  Have their been any independent attempts
-> to develop alternate Text widgets for Gtk?

	Yes.

	GtkExText features some minor improvements on the GtkText widget,
although I'm not sure what the status on that widget is.  There are a
couple of others as well.

	The big one is Havoc's new text widget, originally based on the
TkText widget.  It is very featureful, and Owen added Pango support, but
it is a huge memory hog (just like the TkText widget).

	I am working on a Pango-supporting widget whose target apps are
IDEs and Email apps.  It has things like line numbers and 'bookmarks'.  It
will be more memory efficient than the TkText port, but probably won't
support overlapping tags.  Unfortunately, progress has been very slow for
me because this is a side project.

	I hope to have a working prototype within the next few weeks.  In
the meantime, check out the latest CVS of Gtk+ for the new GtkText widget
(in particular, the testtext program).

--Derek