Re: submenus of a GtkOptionMenu's menu

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Matthias Reis <matthias.reis@web.de> writes:
> >
> > I just wanted to ask wether a GtkOptionMenu's menu can have a submenu. I'm
> > having strange problems with submenus in the optionmenu widget, which are
> > that users can't select a item in a submenu. Gtk sends "activate" callbacks
> > from those items but the optionmenu doesn't show the selected item of the
> > submenu (only the submenu item).
> >

> GTK lets you do it, just because GTK lets you put most widgets most
> places, but nothing sane happens because it never occurred to anyone
> to plan for that, it's a pretty nonstandard use of option menu.
>
> I can see how maybe it could be useful, so possibly if someone patched
> option menu to work in this situation then the patch would be accepted.
>
> Havoc

Please, please, please don't allow this. If you have to select from a
multi-level list, use either *two* option menus or a (shock) tree
widget. As you noticed, they are pretty non-standard, which (as far as
interface is concerned) == pretty bad. While it may potentially be
useful for developers, it is momentarily confusing in the "now I have to
stop and think about the app, rather that just use the app" kind of way
for people who have to use the app (and that's really who the app is for
anyways, right?).

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    If the United States Government spent as much on education
    as it did on the military, every student could fail in a
    solid gold desk.