Re: rpm problem

> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie in the Linux world and I have a *big* problem for me:
>
> I've just installed RedHat 6.2 and after surfing few moments I've downloaded
> some applications (Gimp,...) requiring GTK+ 1.2.8
> OK, I download it and I will install it.
> After few moments, I try "rpm -i --force gtk+-1.2.8-1.i386.rpm" and that's
> right.

The "--force" flag is not recommended. Maybe you were trying to update
on top of your old installation of gtk, in which case you should use
the -U flag (note the uppercase)

> I must now install Gimp, I type "./configure" and I've this on my console:
> "
[snipped]
> configure: error: Test for GTK failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for
> help."

This maybe due to a lot of reasons. Try to remove any version of GTK
you could have (rpm -qa | grep gtk, rpm -e gtk) and reinstall the
latest version you have downloaded.

> I've edited /etc/ld.so.conf where I add this line: "/usr/bin" where gtk-config
> is. but without results.

/etc/ld.so.conf is used by the ldconfig utility in order to build the
/etc/ld.so.cache file. The latter is used by the dynamic linker (the
program which loads the executables/binaries which are dynamically
linked against shared libraries, i.e. the .so files; its main task is
to resolve the symbol locations).

What ldconfig does is to scan the directories listed in ld.so.conf for
shared libraries. So what you did is useless and even extends the run
time of ldconfig since it has to scan the extra directory.

> How can I point to the correct copy of gtk-config ???

It is part of the gtk package, so you shouldn't use any from another
origin.