Re: Why is GtkPlug a GtkWindow?

"Craig S. Kaplan" <csk@cs.washington.edu> writes:
> Why must GtkPlug inherit from GtkWindow?  And why must it be
> a toplevel window, for that matter?  It seems like making inherit
> from GtkWidget (or maybe GtkBin) allows for a much wider range
> of applications, where I can embed my GtkPlug object deep
> inside some complicated layout, surrounded by other GTK widgets
> (or is this possible and non-obvious).

GtkPlug can only go in a GtkSocket, not anywhere else. GtkSocket is a
plain GtkWidget. So you can do this, just put hte socket in your
complicated layout.

> I don't know much about X, so if there's some gnarly X-related
> reason why GtkPlug must be a GtkWindow, I'd love to hear about it.

GtkPlug is a toplevel with respect to the "plug" application, since
the GtkSocket it's inside is supposed to be in another process.

All toplevel widgets are a GtkWindow, that's all a GtkWindow actually
is.

Havoc