Entry widget default size

I'm creating a scrollbar next to an entry widget, within an hbox:

_______________________________
|                              |
| GtkHBox                      |
|________________  ___________ |
||               | |          ||
|| GtkHScrollbar | | GtkEntry ||
||_______________| |__________||
|______________________________|

The problem is that the entry "wants" to be too wide.   Ideally, the entry
should be a fixed width, wide enough for 6-7 characters, with remaining room
going to the scrollbar.  The only way I've been able to accomplish this
behaviour is to force the entry size using gtk_widget_set_usize;
unfortunately this sets the size in pixels, which I'm assuming could be a
problem, depending on the users' fonts/themes/etc.  Is there any way to set
the width of an entry box in characters?

Thanks in advance,
Timothy M. Shead
tshead@k-3d.com