gtk compile errors

Hello, I'm new to this e-mail list so please forgive any toes I may step on.

I'm running a version RedHat 6.0 and have gtk+, glib, gimp, and gdk
installed when I installed the system.  Gimp compiled and runs so I'm
assuming everything is installed correctly.  Anyway, I'm working through
Eric Harlow's book "Developing Linux Applications with GTK+ and GDK".  When
I try to compile my code with the following command I get the following
errors:

Command:
gcc -Wall -g gtk1.c -o gtk1 'gtk-config -cflags' 'gtk-config - libs'

Errors:
gcc: gtk-config -cflags: No such file or directory
gcc: gtk-config -libs: No such file or directory

Any help would be truly appreciated, I've been banging my head on this for
about 4 days now.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron O'Brien