Re: [gtk-list] Re: return of the MDI

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:38:27 +0000, David Given wrote:
> [...]
>>I agree with this (and most of the arguments against WiW MDI), but I
>>was wondering how hard it would be to implement what Photoshop calls
>>pallettes. Little tool windows that float on top within the MDI. The way
>>I would love these things is to be "float on top" whenever a normal
>>window of the app is raised, and also be 'sticky' (visible on all
>>desktops).
>
> Sticky? God, no!

[...]

>>Imagine GIMP for instance. When I have 2 images open, both on a
>>different desktop, I would want the Layers dialog (or any other tool I
>>have open within gimp) to be on each desktop. Now this is pretty easy to
>>do I guess with WM hints. But to be honest I would want those tool
>>windows to be present only on the desktops where I have images. Or (to
>>take it a but further) only be visible when an image has focus.
>
> See what I mean?

FWIW: 4Dwm (the window manager that ships with SGI IRIX) has a nice
compromise between sticky and non-sticky windows: it allows you to stick a
window only to a limited number of desktops. I don't know if there are
other window managers that can do this trick.

Erik
[who happens to hate WiW MDI, too]

PS: Did you notice that M$ dropped the WiW MDI in at least one of their
    products? Internet Explorer uses multiple toplevel windows.

--
There is a style of design I call "wishful thinking engineering. It starts
with something like "pigs can fly if you feed them enough beans" and develops