gfk-pixbuf: parse error (i thought i fixed this!)

i was getting this error before, but i thought i fixed it by updating my
gnome-libs.  it is the "parse error before ArtDestroyNotify" thing.  I can
compile most programs using pixbuf, but i cannot compile when i am using a
GnomeCanvasItem.  the command line looks like this:

gcc -Wall canvaspixbuf.c -o canvaspixbuf `libart-config --cflags --libs`
`gnome-config --cflags gnome gnomeui --libs gnome gnomeui`
`gdk-pixbuf-config --cflags --libs`

i hope someone will tell me what i am doing wrong.  thanks for your help.
-bennyk