Re: [gtk-list] Precisions needed for GtkMenuItem

Nicolas GEORGE <george@clipper.ens.fr> writes:

> I need three precisions about GtkMenuItem:
>
> - the instance variable show_toggle_indicator set up by
>   gtk_menu_item_configure is not used anywhere. Its use is deprecated?

Well, I think it would be more accurate to say it does nothing.

I think it was originally meant to toggled between having toggle menu
items show nothing when unselected, and haveing them show an
inactivate indicators. I'm not sure if it was ever hooked up
to do this.

This is something that shouldn't be under program control - it
should be consistent across applications - so I wouldn't want
to reenable this in the future.

> - am I right if I say that gtk_menu_item_set_placement is only useful for
>   internal use?

Yes, that is fair statement. I can't think of why an application
would ever want to use it.

> - the signal "activate_item" seems to be only emited by the key bindings
>   set up by gtk_item_factory. What is exactly the differenec with
>   "activate"?

The "activate-item" signal is an action which is called when the user
clicks on a menuitem or hits the appropriate keyboard binding
or accelerator. It may end up emitting "activate", or selecting
a submenu, or doing various other things.

The "activate" signal is a notification signal that applications
connect to to tell when a menu item is chosen by the user.

Regards,
                                        Owen